Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Obsession

For as long as I can remember I have been obsessed with food.

When I was 12 years old I became vegan.  This lasted for almost two years, when I decided to be vegetarian to open up my choice of foods (my parents also thought I wasn't getting the proper nutrients for a growing child).  During my first year of college I became vegan again, and have kept up with that diet for just over two years now.

Being vegan/vegetarian can be difficult.  It's not that I was questioning my choice--I love being vegan and knowing that I am doing my part to help helpless animals who are suffering so us humans can enjoy a gross hamburger from McDonald's.  But I must admit, sometimes I want to eat a burger!  Especially now that I'm vegan, and things like cupcakes and muffins and donuts, etc. AREN'T vegan, I'm left to daydream about eating these delicious foods that I had once taken for granted.  Of course, if I were willing I could bake all of these things myself according to a vegan recipe, but the real difficulty lay within actually seeing these foods when I'm out and about and WANTING them there.  It would be amazing to go to a fast food restaurant and just order anything I want, but I can't won't.


Anyway, I'm obviously used to restricting my diet and not allowing myself to eat whatever I want at the time.  I limited my food intake when I first became vegetarian, then again when I became vegan, and I will be attempting to do so again now.  Although my parents were at first skeptical of me keeping up with a vegetarian diet ("it's just a phase, you won't last a week"), I have been successful thus far (vegetarian for 8 years now...).  I have also been able to keep up with a stricter vegan diet for 2 years.  I guess we'll see how successful I am with my new plan...

I am 124 pounds today, 2 pounds lighter than yesterday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment