Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Letter to the Author

To JM:
Although I haven't yet finished your book, it has already gotten me thinking about how I can possibly expand my thinking.  I recently stopped eating, and on only the 3rd day I started feeling the effects of it.  I was walking to my next class when I noticed how detached from the world I felt.  I suddenly realized that this is what I feel whenever I am high on some kind of drug--detached, walking through the world as if I am an outsider looking in, watching people go about their lives completely oblivious to the deep thoughts I am having, just watching/observing/thinking...  Everything around me seems fuzzy or blurred, like in those movie scenes where the guy is standing still while people are moving in fast forward around him.  It is during these moments when you can truly think, when time seems to stop only for you.  When you just get to watch and think.

I don't know anything about the physiology/neurology when you don't eat, but could this be a source of at least a semi-permanent high?  If not, I definitely feel at least a temporary high right now, without the use of any drugs...  
I read that when you fast, you may feel a sense of euphoria.  Is this perhaps due to forgoing something so physical and worldly as food, instead relying on higher brain processes to dampen such cravings and realizing how much of human evolution you are ignoring?  We are meant to eat as much as possible in times of surplus in case of famine.  We are now living in a world of surplus and yet we still follow these same patterns as evolution is slow.  Most people would be unable to fast for a day, let alone make it a lifestyle choice.  And they aren't to be blamed as it would go against human nature and all of human evolution to fast.  But here I am, and here are other followers of Ana.  Defying the odds and living in what I would call a completely different state of mind.  (Although I suppose most would consider it a disordered state of mind, in need of some form of psychological help--which I don't entirely disagree with either.)

--BL

No comments:

Post a Comment